Thursday, April 04, 2013

Thomson Masterpiece

A bit over a week ago I ordered a Thomson Masterpiece seatpost for my road bike to replace the less-than-stellar post I was using.  I would have purchased the Elite post, but my REI dividend came in along with a 20% off coupon.  Time to splurge.  Normally, they don't sell the Masterpiece, but after visiting the bike counter and talking with the staff, they pulled out the big book and ordered one up.  Since it is from one of their regular catalogs it wasn't considered a special order, which would have not allowed me to use the 20% coupon.  Yup, read the fine print to find that restriction.

I picked up the post on Monday and installed it that evening.  It is a beautiful piece of American made machined aluminum and wonderfully light.  Being the bike nerd I am, I have ordered titanium bolts for the head to further reduce the weight.  Necessary?  Nope.  Fun?  Absolutely.  Hopefully those will arrive Friday and I'll install them asap.

The bike feels much more complete now that my seatpost matches the stem and cap.  I considered adding the seatpost collar at one point, but it isn't available in green.  In fact, I have a new custom seatpost collar on the way.  More on that when it arrives.

Yes, it was taken at a funky angle.

No comments: