Friday, July 20, 2012

FSSS Update

I mentioned earlier about a full suspension singlespeed (FSSS) project, so here is an update.

The bike I'm converting is a Sette Ace, which I have had for several years.  It's a great bike from an often mocked company and was sold through Price Point.  When I bought it, I went the frameset route and built it up rather than purchasing the complete bike with a bunch of stuff I would want to immediately swap.  Also, the frameset came with a Rock Shox Monarch 3.3 which was better than what the complete build came with.  It is a capable climber that doesn't suck much energy and inspires confidence when descending.

On Wednesday, a package arrived containing the main piece for the conversion, a Shimano Alfine chain tensioner that I scored on eBay for twenty bucks shipped (brand new).  Supposedly, the Alfine tensioner is better than others because of the extra spring tension, which is useful for the suspension's articulation.  I was able to remove the derailleurs, shifters, and cable without taking off or loosening any cable.  I'll be able to put them back on with little fuss if I decide I don't like the FSSS.  After removing some links from the chain, I decided that I should remove two more.  Too much tension.  Add one link.  Perfect.  I should note that the Alfine tensioner came with three washers, but I had to add one to straighten the chain line.  It's not perfect, but it is close and works just fine.

Did I ride it yet?  No.  I'm waiting on the arrival of an Avid disc brake bleed kit so I can try to fix my Elixir R brakes, which I pretty much hate.  They have been troublesome from day one.  However, there is supposedly a better bleed procedure, as seen in this SRAM video:


How to Bleed your Brakes with Chuck from SRAM on Pinkbike

I have set up the rear with a 16 tooth cog and 32 ring up front, which is the same as on my HTSS.  As you can see from the photo, I still have the large and small chainrings on the crank.  I still need to order a bash ring and then I'll remove them.  Or, maybe I should forget the bash ring and get a chain guide similar to what the downhill guys use.  Hmm.

As is sits now, it weighs about 24 pounds, only a pound heavier than my HTSS.  I could easily drop more weight with some carbon bits and better wheels.  However, I think I'll ride it first and see how I like it.
Crappy cell phone photo.

No comments: