Sunday, July 15, 2012

Singlespeed Punishment

Last weekend I got talked into doing a local CCCX mountain bike race with one of my GTR team mates, Andy.  I had my choice of the beginner race on a geared bike or the sport race on a singlespeed.  Being the brilliant individual that I am, I chose the singlespeed race.  I haven't done any racing since February of last year, when I did a beginner CCCX race on my geared hard tail.  I also haven't done much riding recently.  The race on my fully rigid Surly Karate Monkey was brutal and I dearly paid for my poor decision.  There was also an error by the officials who informed me that I had one lap left when I had two to go.  I questioned him as I went through the line, but he was adamant that I only had one to go.  I learned long ago not to mess with the officials too much, and thought he might have had a good reason for cutting a lap.  Nope.  He was just wrong.  I was talking with him about results later, and he seemed surprised when he said, "You only did four laps."  Yeah, you told me to do only four laps.  Thanks to Andy for sticking around after his race, which he won, to take these videos.
My short-lived second-place lead.
 
Crossing through the finish area, probably finishing lap two.

 Anyway... I want some redemption, so instead of fire-bombing something I am going to race again on July 28th.  I went ahead and did the sensible thing and bought some lighter weight parts.  However, the parts are not for the Karate Monkey.  I decided to rebuild the 26" wheeled Redline Monocog Flight frame that I've had sitting around for a few years.  Front suspension is a brilliant luxury and I hope to never race on a fully rigid bike again.  I have outfitted the Monocog with brand new Easton XC One wheels and Thomson setback seatpost (on order), and the lighter bits that were on the Karate Monkey.  As it sits, it weighs about 23 pounds, which is not incredibly light, but much lighter than the 29er anchor that is the Karate Monkey.  I took it out yesterday for a shakedown ride, and it felt really good.


I now have the crazy idea of converting my full suspension Sette Ace to singlespeed, and have already ordered an Alfine tensioner.  Stay tuned.

No comments: